As designers, we spend far too much time analyzing how to refer to ourselves. “Product designer, UX/UI designer, visual designer, full-stack designer, lead designer of products”…do any of these really tell you about the person behind the title? If you saw a resume with one of these titles at the top, would it shape your expectations?
My bet is, no.
For example, I have reviewed countless resumes for people heralding themselves as a UI/UX designer because they have worked with wireframes. Often times, these individuals have never once spoken to an actual user or conducted any user research.
It’s no wonder designers are forced to market themselves as the full package, even if it’s just to get a foot in the door. Plus, descriptions like these contribute to imposters syndrome. Your company may be missing out on the perfect candidate because he didn’t think he fit the full description of what you were seeking.
As an industry, I think it’s time we take a step back and just embrace the title “designer”. That, in of itself, expresses so much.
A designer is a problem solver; a thinker; a doer. They are someone who can navigate complex ideas and processes and help define a clear way to manage them. And they have core strengths and weaknesses, too. But I would get more from someone saying “I am a designer that focuses on visual design and product interactions” than if they just said “I’m a UI/UXer.”
I’m sure we’re all familiar with the phrase “less is more.” The same holds true in this case.
Someone trying to describe themselves as a unicorn through their title often fails to match my expectations going in. On the other hand, I would not shortchange someone who simple called themselves “a designer.” I would feel confident that she could understand the core values behind UX research, content strategy, or interaction design, even if they weren’t familiar with the nuances and deliverables associated with that field.
A designer is a problem solver; a thinker; a doer. They are someone who can navigate complex ideas and processes and help define a clear way to manage them.
It’s time we rid ourselves of the debates over who we are and what we do. Be a T-shaped designer, find the area you love, focus on it, cultivate your skills, but expose yourself to other areas too. Don’t be afraid to try new things, like illustrations and mobile app design.
When you’re applying for your dream job, proudly say, “I am a designer” and own it. Own your strengths, own your weaknesses, but know that you can
Yesterday, I was asked to answer a question on Quora: What do the top 1% of user interface designers do differently than the other 99%? I think the original poster was assuming that the top eschelon of UI designers use different tools or techniques in their practice. However, I see expert UI design differently. Those designers […]
Content first. User experience design. These terms are tossed around daily by eager commentators. The new trend of “flat design” has been founded on the premise that realistic elements on a web page diminish the experience for the user by presenting a dishonest representation of what the page presents: digital content. Or, as opined by […]